OLBS is proud to be one of the local Catholic schools to offer a STREAM program.
Walt Disney said, “If you can dream it, you can do it.” The students and staff at Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament School (OLBS) in Depew took that a step further and believe that if you can dream it, you can STREAM it!
STREAM refers to the program sponsored by the Diocese of Buffalo where a strong emphasis is placed on Science, Technology, Religion, Engineering, Arts and Math. OLBS had the distinction of being chosen as one of 10 STREAM Pilot schools by the Diocese of Buffalo in 2014. STREAM has been an integral part of the curriculum ever since.
According to the Diocese, “STREAM Education allows academic concepts to be coupled with increased "real life application in all the disciplines.” This sounds good, but what does this mean for students? At OLBS it means that during the school year students:
- Participate in STREAM Academies incorporated into their weekly schedules.
- Go on multi-grade field trips and assemblies put on by the Buffalo Museum of Science, the Buffalo Zoo, the Art Museum and the Erie County Botanical Gardens.
- Work with UNYTS and Junior Achievement to bring programs into the classrooms.
- Benefit from a one-to-one Chrome Book program from grades 3-8.
- Used 13 hands-on science kits and 19 engineering units across all grade levels.
Religion is also deeply incorporated into STREAM at OLBS. There are Academies based on service and prayer as well as an interdisciplinary unit based on Father Baker and the OLV Basilica.
Plans for upcoming school years include keeping STREAM part of the school day, by running an Academy class once a week during school time. This allows all students a chance to participate in an Academy. Students at the Middle School level are allowed to choose which Academy class that they want to participate in, allowing for greater engagement and excitement.
The STREAM program truly makes OLBS a school preparing students for the future, academically AND spiritually.
For more information on STREAM at OLBS, head to our School STREAM website or contact Mrs. Kostek, the school STREAM Coordinator at [email protected]